Tuesday, June 23, 2015

New Serial Introduction: The Power of Steam Compels You

Hello again! This week I want to introduce my new serial, The Power of Steam Compels You. It's almost but not quite set in my steampunk-like world of Zephyria. (More on that later.) Follow the link to jump over to my other blog, Adventures from Zephyria, to read the first chapter. I will be publishing new chapters (or portion of chapters) each week, so check back!

This is a story about a supernatural group called the Spirit Wranglers who need to help a rich mercantile family rid themselves of a pesky spirit in the gold mining town of Prosperity. Before it's all said and done, they'll need to face more than a simple ghost. Can they do it? Keep reading each week to find out! I have 13 chapters plotted out, and a few of those chapters will likely be broken into two parts, so you can visit Prosperity in this alternate Zephyria for the next four months or so!

Why do I say it's an alternate Zephyria? And what is Zephyria? Let me quickly tackle that second one first. Zephyria, as I said, is my steampunk-like world. I will tell you much more about it in the future, but for now know it is a mix between Weird West and Victorian Steampunk. It is not based on actual history (which is why I call it a Steampunk-like world), but I do use some knowledge of the American Old West when building it. The only real thing I need to point out about this story, I feel, is that you will see the capital city of Zephyria is called Phoenix. This isn't the Phoenix in Arizona in the United States, but rather a floating city in Zephyria. (Yes, a floating city! Again, I'll introduce these in a future blog post.) It's named Phoenix because it rose from the ashes of its resting place on the ground.

As for why this is an alternate Zephyria when this is the first Zephyria story I'm telling? I loved the plot I came up with, but after I plotted it, I decided I might not want spirits and other supernatural beings being so mainstream in Zephyria society. The Spirit Wranglers exist, so many people know about ghosts. Spirits, demons, and other supernatural beings most likely exist in the real Zephyria, but I don't want most citizens to be aware of them. Yet. So maybe instead of an alternate Zephyria, it's actually a future tale from Zephyria. Time will tell, so to speak, eh?

With that introduction into the story, I hope you take the time to read not just the first chapter (which you can click here to read), but the rest of the story, as well. Please leave me some comments from time to time to let me know if you are enjoying the tale (or not), or if you have any questions. You can do that right here on this post, or on any of the chapters over at Adventures from Zephyria. Thank you for reading, and I'll see you in the Aether!

No comments:

Post a Comment