Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Not Many Limits on Steampunk

Before I start, if you aren't quite sure what steampunk is, give it a quick look in your search engine of choice. There is already a ton of helpful information on the genre/lifestyle. Today I'm simply offering my opinion.

The thing I like most about the genre/lifestyle of steampunk is that there are very few rules. The overall scene is very accepting. You might be more into the gaslamp scene, or dieselpunk might be your thing, but overall, you can call it steampunk and be right. (Again, Google is your friend if you're not sure what those and other subgenres are.)

Of course, you can't simply glue gears on something or put on a pair of goggles and say it's steampunk. (Well, the great thing is, you probably can!) You really should research what has come before and go from there. After you know more about it, however, you can pretty much do anything you want in the genre. From ancient alternate history, to pure Victorian Steampunk, and far forward to Future Dystopian Steampunk, the world is your oyster!

So, my point being? Simply as I said. Whatever your interest in steampunk, you aren't confined by many rules. Find the basics, and you can basically go anywhere - past, present, or future. If you want to be a steampunk, do it however you like, and you're doing it correctly. I love that about the movement!

So what do you think? Do you agree with me, or am I being far too general in my view? I'd love to hear from you in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment